Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Family House! Volunteers play a pivotal role in the success of our mission by assisting our staff in providing a safe and comfortable home for families in crisis. There are a variety of opportunities for you to volunteer at Family House depending on your interests and availability. We work with each volunteer to make sure your time is used efficiently and productively. We have been fortunate to work with an abundance of hardworking San Francisco corporate, church, school, independent groups, and individuals.
If you are interested in volunteering your time, please complete the application form. We will contact you as soon as possible to set up an interview and discuss your areas of interest. If you have questions, you can contact Greg Mora, Director of Volunteer Programs at (415) 514-6663 or email@example.com.
- Volunteers select a day of the week, morning or afternoon shift. These positions include working off a checklist to ensure that the house is well-stocked and tidy, disinfecting and organizing communal areas, sorting donations, and office support. One of the most important things we can do to support our families is to ensure a fully-stocked, clean, and safe environment.
- On a monthly basis, volunteers will host an activity such as: arts and crafts, family dinner, board games, bingo, yoga etc. We have some very special volunteers that come frequently to entertain the families: David Magidson as "Boswick the Clown",
Bobby "The Bunny" Thomas, Clown Zero, 4Paws and SPCA Therapy Dogs, and Yoga with Raissa Bump. In addition, we have our handy-man, Lon Main, and our wonderful gardener extraordinaire, Caryn Peirce that assist around the house. You may have a special talent that we would love for you to share with our families.
- Corporate on-site projects include prepping and painting bedrooms, bathrooms, and common areas, deep-cleaning communal spaces, gardening, and other "done in a day" projects. Corporate teams can also host activities for the families, such as a BBQ or Holiday activity. Off-site projects consist of assembling care packages, organizing a donation drive, or preparing meals for our families. This kind of help is invaluable to us and can strengthen the corporate relationship in the community.
- Groups like Temple Emanu-El, Great Exchange Covenant Church, and the Buddhist compassion group, The Tzu Chi Foundation, have prepared monthly meals, held food and donation drives, and hosted activities in support of our families. We are also fortunate to have the lively spirits of other groups such as The ARC of San Francisco, WorkLink, and Employment Plus who help keep our houses clean and tidy on a weekly basis.
- Volunteering at Family House is a wonderful way to fulfill any community service hour requirements for junior high, high school, or college. Stuart Hall Middle School, Convent of the Sacred Heart High School, Mercy High, and St. Ignatius College Preparatory School have all been a tremendous help to Family House. Our High School Summer Volunteer Program is held June-July of each year, giving students a rich volunteer experience where they are able to assist our families in many different capacities. City College of San Francisco, University of San Francisco, and San Francisco State University students have also lent their expertise to serving our families and raising awareness and support on their campus.
- Every second Saturday of the month, we host a Saturday Volunteer Day from 10am to 1pm at 1234 10th Avenue. This is the perfect opportunity for volunteers with limited schedules to work in a group setting on projects around the house. Project may include, but are not limited to, organizing and disinfecting communal areas, sorting donations, tending gardens, and hosting activities for our families. Be sure to dress comfortably and wear clothing that can get dirty. Please email Greg Mora, Director of Volunteer Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
- Family House serves as a home away from home for families of children with cancer and other life-threatening illnesses by providing physical comfort and emotional support, free from financial concerns. The Young Professionals Advisory Council (YPAC) supports the Family House mission through social media and fundraising events. Click here to learn more about YPAC and get involved. Follow the Family House YPAC Facebook page to keep up to date on upcoming events.
- Are you in high school and looking for a regular, part-time summer volunteer opportunity? Click here to read about the Family House Summer Volunteer Program, and then fill out our Volunteer Application to get involved.
- Many groups have found their way to us through Hands on Bay Area. HOBA is a network that connects volunteers to different opportunities throughout the Bay Area. You can try out different projects that work with your busy schedule.
Family House thanks all of the volunteers who offer their love, time, and talent to our families! Please complete the application form or contact Greg Mora, Director of Volunteer Programs at (415) 514-6663 or email@example.com for more information!